Feather, plant (olona)
42.5 x 91.4 cm
This ahuula was presented by Kamehameha IV to Lady Franklin in 1861. Upon her death, July 18, 1875, it was bequeathed to Mr. G.B. Austen-Lefroy, from whom the Bishop Museum purchased it in 1909 for $200. It is made up of red apapane (Himatione sanguinea) feathers, and black and yellow oo (Moho spp.) feathers. It has a background of yellow oo. Two thin crescents of black oo and red apapane join to create a single horizontal crescent. A pair of red half crescents with a yellow oo half- crescent cores and a pair of black oo half- crescents with yellow oo half- crescent cores run along the front edges on opposing sides. A thin band of alternating sections of red apapane, yellow oo, black oo and yellow oo runs along the neckline. Its net backing is made of olona (Touchardia latifolia) fiber.
This object is associated with Kamehameha IV